The Badminton Herald

Bringing in badminton news and views to the grass roots..

I AM A BADMINTON GEEK...

"I had this intention of sweating out excess fat in exchange for the fun of whacking shuttlecocks in midair. The first time I stepped into a badminton court, I got that... and more! -The Bad Geek 2007

Subscribe

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Perfecting an arched body, with your feet off the ground and wacking the shuttle with your racket accurately.

;



“Jump smash” have been almost considered the ultimate killing and attacking play in badminton because of its ability to deliver fast, powerful, and a directed shuttlecock to the opposite court. Executed by a well trained and athletic player, this badminton weapon is lethal if not frustrating to the court side enemy.

In my previous general strategies post, I mentioned about the four stages of surviving game plays; namely returning a serve, staying out of trouble, preparing for an attack and performing an attack. The jump smash is the ultimate attack weapon. But to master it, it takes a lot of training and practice. Its execution is the sum of all of this practice.

Many coaches and players will tell us that the jump smash is nothing but the perfection of all strokes in badminton, just like the “butterfly” stroke in swimming. It requires tremendous muscle coordination and concentration to attain maximum efficiency. In fact, you cannot deliver a jump smash beautifully without you muscles warmed up. Observing some very good jump smashes in international badminton plays makes you even wonder how such a body can attain a giant leap, arch beautifully, and whip a shuttle cock with a racket on such accuracy. To top it all, “recoil” or repositioning after is very much needed after, to prepare for a fast return from the opponent. And this is what most average players’ lack.


So I thought “I never can deliver such lethal strokes at my age and athletic ability”. Naturally curious and ever improving, I examined why I couldn’t do such good armamentarium and worked on it.

First, I changed my mindset, that I can deliver a good jump smash with enough training and practice. This is a purely hypothetical at first. I went on observing “jump smashers” to no end, even courtside enemies. I asked coaches and trainers to teach me the steps, in slow motion, so I can understand it. I watched videos, read VP Malixi’s book (with beautiful drawings in it). Then I went on training myself- jumps, shadow plays and on court practice.

When inside a game, I concentrated and waited for opportunities to deliver a jump smash. The first few were horrendously awful, if not laughable. I got scolded by team mates and laughed about by side court onlookers. But I patiently waited and practiced some more, learning from missteps and trying it on again. When at one time I delivered a smackering jump smash that was accurately executed and was never returned by an opponent, I studied it well. I also managed to practice for some fast recoil and repositioning for defense, that made my jump smash a little bi scary.

Today, I can deliver an average jump smash at say 80-90% accuracy and return to a defense position or a follow up smash whichever the case maybe. In one major friendship games, I used jump smashes more often seeing the opportunity from enemies who never figured out to shy away from lifts that landed mid court on our side. I found my attacks virtually unstoppable, if delivered accurately. Of course this was a summation of other game play strategy and practices, but swell, the feeling of having to whack a shuttle cock in midair (your feet higher off the ground) and direct it on a helpless opponent, is nothing but extremely gratifying!

Still not happy with what you read? Couldn't understand something in the article? Or simply you want to SEARCH some more? Type in here:

1 comments:

  1. raventech said...
     

    whew....thnks for the advices sir.. im so eager to learn jump smashes.. at this point, im still relearning again., and still enduring taunts, and scolds from better players.. thank you for this share sir...

Post a Comment



Post a Comment

Welcome to The Badminton Herald! Feel free to comment (hopefully in English) so we can all understand in each other. Let me know if I can help you with badminton.